- Sulfate-free, leave-in, overnight repair treatment that penetrates hair fiber while you sleep to improve strength after just one use
- Formulated with Bio-Ceramide complex and natural botanicals to strengthen and repair hair
- For hair that needs extra strength
- Net Wt. 3.4 oz.
What I learned from trying 5 different hydrating products
I was a classic too-manly-for-hair-care male until I recently resolved (out of either vanity or self-respect, or maybe both) to start attending more carefully to my health/appearance/grooming. Hair is, of course, at the front line of that battle, so I interrogated some professional hair people and did some Internet browsing and learned that hair care is only partly a matter of what products you use. Healthy hair is also the result of things like drinking water and eating right and avoiding excessive sun or heat. Hair is, in fact, the most reliable indicator of whether a person is healthy. (See the Wikipedia page on “hair care,” for starters.) And I learned that when it comes to hair products, I should look for ones that say “hydrating.” (This as opposed to “moisturizing,” which merely gives the appearance of hydration.) That’s because hydrated hair is pretty much what healthy hair
• I then spent a decent (if not ridiculous) amount of time browsing Amazon’s hydrating hair products and reading the reviews, and then I experimented with 5 different, relatively inexpensive products.The bottom line is that none of the 5 products are magical but I have noticed a mild to moderate improvement in shine, darkness, and thickness. (If you have recommendations for a near-magical product, I’m counting on you to let me know.) Given what I’ve seen from the different products, I will probably settle into a routine of using a small amount of the Frieda shampoo and conditioner daily, and then using an overnight treatment maybe once a month (but probably not this one).That doesn’t mean I recommend (or don’t) any of these products for you. Another thing I learned while researching hair is that we are all unique little flowers with very different filaments on our noggins that respond differently to different things. So rather than recommending a particular product, I recommend that you do some trials and see what works for you.Below is a detailed review of each product.
• L’Oreal EverStrong Overnight Treatment (My rating: 2.5 stars) (Current price: $1.76/ounce) – I have only used it a few times but haven’t noticed anything magical. You apply it to dry hair at night, work it through the ends, and then sleep with your hair in a mildly goopy state. I didn’t check carefully, but I would be surprised if your hair doesn’t leave a mark on your pillowcase. And it takes a lot of goop, even for a guy with reasonably short hair like me. Maybe it would be worth it if it gave my hair a brilliant luster or thickness, but it doesn’t seem to do much at all, at least not above what the shampoo and conditioner are already doing. I am unlikely to get it again.
• John Frieda Frizz-Ease Shampoo(4.3 stars) ($0.60/ounce) – It works noticeably better than my old shampoo (Aussie Smooth). With this shampoo, my hair stays wet after a shower about 40% longer and it retains a subtle moisture all day. After a shower, when I comb my wet hair, I can hardly even feel it because there is so little resistance against the comb. In other words, my hair becomes a weird combination of wet and airy. The shampoo seems to work best when I leave it in for a minute or two before rinsing. I only need to use about a nickel-sized amount (I have medium-to-shaggy hair). It has a scent that is a little too much like a household cleaning product, but it’s a faint smell and goes away after the shower.
• John Frieda Frizz-Ease Conditioner(3.8 stars) ($0.54/ounce) – If the shampoo does most of the moisturizing “work,” then the conditioner seems kind of like the sealant to lock it in and protect it all day, and to make your hair more “manageable.” This conditioner does that job well enough but I only use a little bit of it because it makes my hair a little too helmet-y for my liking. Maybe you like that from a conditioner–I don’t. I prefer that my hair move in the breeze. This conditioner would probably have a more desirable effect for people with long (at least shoulder-length) hair. As for the scent, I would describe it as “neutral.”
• L’Oreal Everstrong Conditioner(3.2 stars) ($0.66/ounce) – This seems to have the same effect as the Frieda conditioner, except that it makes my hair even slightly more helmet-y. Also, it has an initially-strong scent that faintly lingers in my hair all day, even when I only use a dime-sized amount. It’s a smell that I would describe as endurable but not pleasant.
• Paul Mitchell leave-in conditioner(3.0 stars) ($1.03/ounce) – My second-biggest complaint with this product is that it is sort of annoying to apply – after the shower, you have to dab a few blotches of it onto your damp hair and then brush it through. My biggest complaint is that it doesn’t seem to be doing anything beyond what the other conditioners do. It works well enough and makes my hair nice and dark and helmet-y but so do the other conditioners. Plus, I don’t think it’s doing much to make my hair healthier because you only apply it to the end of the hair and not to the scalp. That means it also requires a good amount of the blue gel to work it through all of your hair.—P.S. – Many of these same products are probably available at your local Wal-Mart (or whatever), and probably for a 10-25% lower price.P.P.S. – A couple years ago, I experimented with using no hair products at all… for months. I had read some caveman-y theories about how hair products damage our hair because they crowd out the natural moisturizing chemicals and blah blah. All I can say is that it didn’t work for me. It’s true that my hair during those months was surprisingly less nappy and gross than I expected, and it’s maybe even true that the artificial chemicals we put on our scalps have some serious, unwelcome consequences, but all I can say is that I much prefer how my hair looks and feels after it’s been shampooed, to the point that I’m willing to take whatever risks those chemicals may pose.
Difficult to work through hair, but results shine!
I have long, fine hair that was once very thick. Due to improper hair care, and bad hair habits I tend to “shed” a lot. I purchased this product hoping it would help with the split ends I have because of over use with heated styling tools. Although it has not helped my split ends, it has made my hair look very shiny and munch more manageable in the mornings. Additionally my hair is shedding less.I have a VERY difficult time working this through my hair to get an even application on split ends and damaged hair. The product tends to glob and concentrate in certain sections, which does not allow for easy or even treatment of the effected areas.
Smells amazing and works!
I love this product. Here’s why:1. It smells amazing. Green & comforting. Better than the EverStrong shampoos and conditioners. The smell also lasts.2. It works. My hair is noticeably shinier, healthier, and more manageable after using this product consistently. It feels thicker.3. It isn’t greasy and it absorbs quickly. It doesn’t leave a mess on my pillows or on my hair bands. No gunk, no residue, anywhere, ever.4. It washes right out. Doesn’t weigh my hair down or contribute to any build up.5. It works great as a styling product. I love that I can run this through my hair and it doesn’t have a bad smell or add crazy texture. It gives me a piece-y shine and soft hold.6. It’s easy to use. However many pumps you need, rub your palms together and press / work through hair. It comes out in globs but I find if you rub it through your hands first, you get more even coverage.I definitely recommend this product. Due to its stellar functionality & superior absorption, I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed.
I purchased and started using this approximately 3 weeks ago. I apply it every night before going to bed. The results have been spectacular. I had a bad hair dye incident a few months ago which resulted in lots of split ends and breakage. After using this product I find that I have less split ends and my hair is a lot smoother. Also, a lot less breakage. Although this is somewhat pricey for its size, I will definitely purchase this again.
My hair is so messed up from flat iron that i doubt anything would work but this does nothing to my hair.It smells okay but I thought it would do a better job.
I usually use Nexxus Pro-mend Overnight Treatment Creme, but since Target was out of stock one week I decided to go with this stuff. Compared to Pro-mend, this stuff sucks. I only used it once and I had to wash my hair twice just and it was still greasy and oily. I will say, though, that it did feel like it repaired my split ends but Pro-mend still works better.I eventually gave the rest of the unused bottle to my sister in law and she now swears by it. If you’re on the fence, buy this one as it is the cheaper of the two and if you like it and it doesnt leave your hair oily, then you’ve found the one. If not, try the Nexxus Pro-mend, although more expensive – it really does work.
Stops the breakage!
This product is a miracle worker! I am African-American with thick, kinky hair that can never get enough moisture. When I was relaxed, this was my holy grail product. In the months before I transitioned to natural hair, I had lots of breakage but when I used this I could style my hair and see maybe 2-3 strands come out in the comb. The difference was truly overnight. Now that I’m natural, I use it to fortify my hair after it’s been pressed out and it still does a great job. This will be a lifetime staple product in my regimen.
If you have thick hair…
Get ready to use half a bottle every time you use this. I have thick hair a little past my shoulders and it takes about half a bottle to really get it worked in and saturated. Good thing I bought the three pack.
It works alright I guess . I didn’t really see what it did too much . It ran out like very fast also .
I think I got the hang of this
The first time I used this I put it in my hair after the day was done, so no washing the hair and letting it air dry before bed, I just put it in. I also over applied the product because well after a day of being out and about your hair is drier and soaks in product like nobody’s business. That night I slept with a sleep cap on, because I’m like a super restless sleeper and I wake up with a rat’s nest and I decided that this would be a bad thing if I had product in my hair. That morning I rinsed out my hair and blah. Not much happening. So that morning I washed and deep conditioned with my regular product John Frieda Replenish. That night I washed my hair before bed, and put the conditioner in wet hair. I still put on the sleep cap. In the morning I rinsed my hair and meh, a little improvement, but I still wasn’t sold. So the next evening, I washed my hair, let it air dry and then put the overnight cream in. I rinsed the cream in the morning and voila, now we’re talking.But honestly, unless you just can’t wait to get home, wash your hair and let it sit and air dry how often are you going to do this or how often are you going to want to do this. My hair looked lovely and healthy, and I enjoy some fun product and pampering time, but I have a life that doesn’t revolve around my hair too. I’m going to try out a few more miracle masks for hair before I settle. This really does make your hair look nice. It does seem to seal some of those broken ends, but I think for best results you’d have to do this a few times a week and I can’t even commit to television programs so I’m not sure I can commit to washing my hair letting it dry and then putting in the product.
I have short, layered hair, which gets dry after coloring. I’ve used regular and deep conditioners after color, but never got any relief from those dry ends.Last night, I tried this product for the first time, and, after washing my hair this morning, I’m impressed!Using the product was easy. 2 pumps, and my entire head had enough product (people with long hair would probably need more). As the product dried down, it left my hair looking kind of dull, and feeling very weighed down, BUT, I just ran my hands through my hair several times, and the dullness and weight were gone.There was a fragrance that faded before I hit the pillow.I didn’t notice any shine this morning, UNTIL I shampooed and let my hair air dry.Wow! Smooth hair (even those dry ends), and a nice shine.I’m glad I tried this, and would recommend it to anyone with dry hair.
Loreal everstrong overnight treatment
I decided to try this after seeing a brief TV ad.At first I put it on as directed (to hair while dry) When I woke up in the morningI found the treatment had left a very slight gummy feel. My hair is VERY FINE andcolor treated. Based on that I decided to put the treatment on my hair while damp. (let it dry beforebedtime) Then the next morning I have to say my hair was healthier, softer and shiny.I am so pleased that I decided to subscribe to get one can of treatment every month from Amazon.com.If you try it I think you will like it too!
I don’t like the smell as much as some other reviewers did- I’d have rather it had no smell or a different one. But, I do like how my hair feels the morning after.I usually use more pumps- I have thick hair going down my back some and I probably use about 4, maybe 5 pumps. Then I usually tie my hair into a bun or something and go to sleep. In the morning, after brushing, the smell is almost gone (fortunately for me) and my hair does feel pretty nice 🙂 I’m glad I have it, but I don’t use it every night either- maybe only a couple times a week.
This product lives up to it’s claim and more, My hair is relaxed. I use this right before wrapping at night. My hair has become strong, but also very silky looking and feeling, shiny, and healthy. The ends look smooth and my hair is not shedding. My hair has gotten thicker, too. That’s probably because it’s not shedding. I like touching my own hair during the day. I couldn’t be more pleased.You can actually see and feel your hair’s improvement after the first use, and it only gets better with continued use. It’s not oily or sticky. It doesn’t leave a residue or heavy feel. It works nothing like those hair polishers, that sit on the surface of the hair and leaves a coating. It has a somewhat wet, get-like, feel, but don’t be alarmed, it absolutely does not revert the hair. My hair is short. I only use one pump. You don’t need to pile it on. The next morning, I can just comb my hair and go. No need to hit it with a flat iron, spray with oil sheen, or apply any products to impart a lively look.I love this stuff. Actually, I like it better than Mizani’s buttercream hairdress to liven my hair between shampoos. For me, that’s saying a lot. It’s 1/4 the price of Mizani, too. I purchased this based solely on the good reviews. Thank you all. Hair products always make claims, but this one delivers, beyond my expectations. This EverStrong give superior protection, strength, and conditioning support for relaxed hair.I like the fragrance. As my fellow reviewer stated, “it smells Green”…sort of plant-like or, like mild, sweet, pipe tobacco and coconut….something grown in nature. No matter, the fragrance doesn’t last long. Even if I thought it smelled horrid, I would mix in a drop of my favorite essential oil, and gladly keep using this product. It is the best leave in conditioner I have ever used. It really improves the hair.
When I bought this, I was very skeptical about it. I didn’t believe that anything could actually repair split ends. I have long hair (it goes past my armpits about 4in) and I’ve always had a really hard time with split ends… I tend to get them only a little while after a haircut, which is very annoying. So, even though I was skeptical, I decided to give this a try just for kicks and giggles. Well, I was amazed at what it did to my hair… after just one use, I noticed far fewer split ends in my hair! After a few uses, they were gone entirely. My ends are also always very brittle, and now they are nice and soft. In the beginning I needed to use more than what was recommended (I used 2 pumps just for my ends alone) because my hair was just that bad, but after using it for a while, I don’t need to use as much. I would definitely recommend this product… if you have problems with split ends and brittle hair, BUY IT! You won’t be disappointed.
Doesnt work for me
I have very damaged hair and this product made my hair even worse. I wanted to return but I was too late. When I wake up in morning my hairs stick to each other. Nothing can be worse than that.
I liked it.
I liked it. The application is simple. I could see evidence of a smoothing of the cuticle. I just wish there was more of it in the bottle.
Nothing to write home about
It is mildly hydrating, but "everstrong" is a bit hyperbolic for the effect the product actually has on my hair. It doesn’t add any added strength that I could discern and it doesn’t particularly hydrate well either.
Amazing hair treatment
I have naturally wavy/curly, dry hair. I use about 6-8 pumps of this on my hair the night before I’m going to wash it. It gets absorbed into my hair with no residue. After I wash it out the next day, my hair is much softer, has fewer tangles, and seems like there are fewer split ends. I use this product about once a fortnight.
It’s really contributed to fixing my fried hair.
I bleached my hair back and forth between dyed brown and my natural blonde a couple of times in the span of two months. Obviously my hair was in horrible condition.My hair was would flop like wet noodles when it was damp and I could squeeze out water from a couple strands and it would look murky, like there was still conditioner in it, even though I knew I had gotten it all out. When it was dry it felt like plastic and frizzed out everywhere. Oddly enough, I never had any breakage, which was good, but it confused the hell out of me. I got a good amount of the damage trimmed off, and then just kept it in a ponytail all the time since it was still pretty bad.My hair got even worse after using a shampoo and conditioner a few of my relatives recommended me. Mane and Tail. I figured it should work, since they all had very healthy looking hair. How wrong I was, by the end of the month it was making my hair clump together, and I could actually feel and hear it stretching and snapping off when I ran my fingers through my hair. I tossed out the Mane and Tail immediately.L’Oreal’s Overnight Hair Repair treatment caught my eye in the grocery store while I was looking for some new shampoo and a deep conditioner, and I figured I’d try it out. And since it was Sulfate free and smelled SO good, I just couldn’t pass it up. I bought it along with a couple Redken products that I use bi-weekly and Organix Teetrea Mint shampoo and conditioner. I don’t use this stuff every night, mostly because I forget, but when I do my hair always feels really soft when I wake up. It’s been about a month and a half since I started using it, and since then I’ve chopped my hair off to something like a pixie cut, but I still use this stuff because I still have a bit of damage on my sides where my hair is longer. I’m almost out though, so as soon as I can I’m going to have to go get some more. I think I’m going to have to keep a bottle or two of this stuff around this house just in case.
This is Healthier 🙂
I was using Dove but then I found out how bad sulfates were when they started making me break out :S i stopped using it. This makes my hair healthier and stronger my hair is long and Im gonna keep growing it so its important that I take care of it. This gets the job done especially being that I have curly hair I recommend it if you want healthy silky moisturized soft hair. God bless u all and have a nice day.
IM SOLD FOREVER!
I feel like buying cases of this in case it EVER gets discontinued!! all my 57 yrs of life..every kind of hair product has bothered me (physically) headaches sore throats sinus pain etc etc…I was always jealous of everyone that could use diff products and their hair look great..SMELL great etc…WELL I FINALLY FOUND IT!! Im so excited…I didn’t use at night (hey your hair doesn’t know its night time or day time if your sleeping or awake lol) with how sensitive I am i was afraid I’d wake with a rip roaring headache (as i usually do after trying diff products) I wanted to be up and awake so that…if..it did start..to bother me..I could hurry and it wash off…I love the texture very creamy (my hands felt like i conditioned them they were so soft after using this!)The smell as others said was true..you do..get..a HINT of aftershave smell…but after its on your hair it smells great and no aftershave smell….I couldnt believe 24 hrs passed…no headache–sore throat–sniffles etc etc..now its 40 hrs later and NOTHING YIPPEE lol..and I can’t believe i can actually run my fingers STRAIGHT thru my hair with no catching knots! my hair is mega shiny soft and smells great! Im so happy I listened to the GOOD reviews and bought this! I always tend to go with the negatives…I 100% recommend this to everyone!!
Overnight treatment works!
I can’t remember the last time my hair was this shiny after only one night of use! I love this!
my hair night time wonder!
what could be easier. add a little at night. wake up to restoration galore! notice the difference after first use.
Great as a pre-poo!
I use this as a pre-poo treatment overnight in tandem with coconut oil. It works great! I find that it softens my 4c hair before applying the oil to my hair. My hair is very thick and [with washing weekly] one bottle of this will last me about 3 months. I find that after my washes my hair comes out a lot softer.I would recommend this to those looking for a great pre-shampoo treatment for thick natural hair.
I was skeptical of this product when I first read about it but I had dyed my hair to the point of it being fried. So I decided to give it a try and I wasn’t disappointed. It does take a but of time, do not expect this to magically fix you hair over night. It takes a few weeks but the results are great. The product has a nice smell. It may go in your hair feeling a little greasy but when you wake up your hair is soft and has a good smell. I’ve been buying this for a few years now and my hair is so much softer when I use it constantly and for long periods of time. I would also recommend the shampoo and conditioner that go with this product. The three of them together are like a triple threat to dried out hair. It may feel a little frizzy when just washed but once you brush through it, it’s soft and so silky. I really love this product and am glad I went against my skepticism because this was a great product.I would recommend this for anyone with dried out hair or even frizzy since the moisture is great for it.
Cheap and really works!
I put this on my hair every couple of weeks and when I wake up in the morning the product has been completely absorbed into the hair shaft. My hair is softer and thicker after using this product. I can’t believe the low price either. I don’t waste my money on deep conditioners any more, this does everything I need it to.
this over night treatment worked on my hair. My hair was a bit brittle and dry due to dying my hair. This product brings back your shine and replenishes its naturals oils.. I say its worth it.
It’s a little expensive (once you add shipping costs) for a loreal leave in conditioner product but if you have dry, dull hair it’s worth it. Just put a little in before bed and something about your body heat overnight and the conditioner works magic. Every night that I use this I go to bed with dull dry hair and wake up the next day with shiny smooth hair!
I used it last night with no greasiness. put in 3 pumps and absorbed in my hair perfectly. It will only get yucky if you overdo it. My hair seemed thicker and fuller after washing the next morning.